CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Clockwork Angel Countdown

Em's to-read book montage

Strange Fate
Midnight
Afterlife
Angel
Original Sin
Hellbent
A Touch Mortal
Tempest
The Gray Wolf Throne
The Enchanter Heir
Untitled
Angelfire
The Iron Witch
Entwined
The Vampire Diaries
Moonsong
Phantom
Reign Check
Reign or Shine
Fanged & Fabulous


Em - of Everything Books's favorite books »

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hex Hall

Rachel Hawkins, author of Hex Hall, and Demon Glass which is coming 
soon. She was born in Virginia and raised in Alabama. She graduated 
from Auburn University and became a english teacher.  In 2007 
she quit teaching to pursue writing full time. She lives with her 
husband and her son. 
For more info on Rachel, visit her site(s):
Website: http://www.rachel-hawkins.com

Blog: http://readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rmhawkins
Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Publication Date: March 2010
Hardcover: 323 pages


Summary: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Book Review:
Hex Hall was definitely a great book. It totally has the wow! factor that I have been looking for in these YA, Fantasy books. I enjoy most of the YA books, but this one really stands out. All the supernatural creatures and all that. The werewolves, fairies, witches, vampires, demons, ect. It just adds to the amazing storyline and gives the characters their individuality. Pretty much anyone who likes the genre of books will fall in love Hex Hall. The cover indicates that Hex Hall is a light book. This is totally misleading. While there are parts where it is light and cute, there is also the darker, more edgy side of it. Sophie was a cute, lovable, and funny character. Sophie is a witch who had a love spell go wrong. That is what lands her in the awful school of Hecate Hall a.k.a. Hex Hall. This is the school where prodigium's learn how to control their powers, so they do not expose themselves and everyone else. Sophie was not my favorite character though. I loved her a lot, but my favorite character in this book had to be Jenna. I know that she doesn't play that much of a part in the story, but my heart just went out to her. Jenna was the outcast at school just because she was the only vampire student there. Archer was also another great character. Sorry that I can't go into more detail about him, but that would give stuff away. Anyway what I can say about Archer is that he was just great. I don't know how else to describe him. The twists in Hex Hall were just enough to keep me interested. Rachel really showed her ability to write suspense and mystery, oh and just overall Rachel proved that she is a great writer. Overall this was a amazing book, and absolutely loved the twist at the end. I can't wait for the next book Demon Glass.

Rating: A

Notable/ Funny Quotes: 
"Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying." 

"Let's just say you may regret that second piece of cake.'
Oh my God. Regret cake? Whatever was about to happen must be truly evil." 

"I don't know what I was expecting a vampire's room to look like. Maybe lots of black, a bunch of books by Camus... oh, and a sensitive portrait of the only human the vamp ever loved, who had no doubt died of something beautiful and tragic, thus dooming the vamp to an eternity of moping and sighing dramatically.
What can I say? I read a lot of books." 

"So if you can heal with your touch, why are you working here as like, Hagrid, or whatever?" 

"I heard the man and woman cry a warning as I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words that I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, 'BAD DOG!'
Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of blue light on my left. Suddenly, the werewolf seemed to smack into an invisible wall just inches in front of me....
'You know,' someone said off to my left, 'I usually find a blocking spell to be a lot more effective than yelling "Bad dog," but maybe that's just me." 

"Don't worry about it," I said."Hey werewolves gotta drool, vampires gotta eat..." Hex Hall


Coming Soon
        On
February 15th 2011


For more information:Demon Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...