CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Clockwork Angel Countdown

Em's to-read book montage

Strange Fate
Midnight
Afterlife
Angel
Original Sin
Hellbent
A Touch Mortal
Tempest
The Gray Wolf Throne
The Enchanter Heir
Untitled
Angelfire
The Iron Witch
Entwined
The Vampire Diaries
Moonsong
Phantom
Reign Check
Reign or Shine
Fanged & Fabulous


Em - of Everything Books's favorite books »

Sunday, January 9, 2011

City of Bones

City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Publication Date: March 27, 2007
Hardcover: 485 pages


Summary:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.



Book Review:
This book had a lot of mixed reviews, and that is why I didn't end up reading it until now. I know I'm a little late to reading this book, but I was busy. Anyways I really liked this book. It is one of those books where you either love it or you hate it. The plot wasn't that original, but the world was. The characters were good, and the way the author depicted the world was great! Clary really brings the reader into the story. She is sweet and kinda naive. All she wants to do is find her mother. I liked her relationship with her best friend Simon. Though Simon was kinda  a boring character. There wasn't really anything unique about him. I did feel sorry for him. Jace was another good character. He was overprotective, strong, and annoying at times. Jace and Clary were the main reasons I liked this book. Not that I didn't like the storyline it's just that similar storys have been done before. Isabelle, at first I liked her. She was nice and helpful. Then I didn't like her, she acted like a jealous brat, and then I liked her again. It was like the author couldn't decide wether or not Isabelle would be a friend or an enemy. Not that I didn't like this. It wasn't a big deal, I really didn't mind it. Alec in the end was nice, kinda. I really didn't like him at first. He was an asshat. He was rude and openly mean to Clary, when she had done nothing to make him hate her, at least at first.The things that made this book were, the characters, the storyline, and the overall writing. Some might say that the writing was bad and all that, but I really don't think so. Plus remember this is my own opinion and you don't have to agree with me. I really look forward to getting around to reading the next books in this series. I will have high expectations for them. Also I can't say that you would like it if you read it, but there is a pretty good possibility. 


Rating: B


Notable/ Funny Quotes:
"Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting." 



"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked." 



"Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power." 



"Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you’d get dressed up in a nurse’s outfit and give me a sponge bath?" asked Jace.
"It was Simon who promised you the sponge bath."
"As soon as I’m back on my feet, handsome," said Simon.
"I knew we should have left you a rat." 



"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt." 


The Mortal Instruments:


City of Ashes 
2nd book of The Mortal Instruments series.

City of Glass
3rd book of The Mortal Instruments series.


City of Fallen Angels
4th book of The Mortal Instruments series. 
Comes out April 5th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...