CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Clockwork Angel Countdown

Em's to-read book montage

Strange Fate
Midnight
Afterlife
Angel
Original Sin
Hellbent
A Touch Mortal
Tempest
The Gray Wolf Throne
The Enchanter Heir
Untitled
Angelfire
The Iron Witch
Entwined
The Vampire Diaries
Moonsong
Phantom
Reign Check
Reign or Shine
Fanged & Fabulous


Em - of Everything Books's favorite books »

Monday, January 3, 2011

Evernight

Title: Evernight
Author: Claudia Gray
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: June 1st 2008
Hardcover: 327 pages

Summary:

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would." 

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

Book Review:
I know Evernight has been out for awhile, but I need some book to review while I wait for new ones. It has also been awhile since I last read Evernight, sorry if this isn't one of my better posts.  

Anyway, Evernight is the first book in a series of four books, so far. It is also the debut novel for Claudia Gray. Evernight is an amazing first book about first love and vampires.
In Evernight, you follow a character by the name of Bianca. Throughout the book she struggles to fit in where it is cut into two easily defined groups. Because Bianca is in-between, she is left without any friends. It is after a half-hearted attempt to escape from Evernight, that Bianca meets Lucas. Out there in the woods they seem to click, but when they return to school Lucas acts like he doesn't want anything to do with Bianca. Slowly, but surely they become friends though. Sadly nothing ever is as it seems. Everyone is hiding something, the question is what and what will it do to Lucas and Bianca's relationship. 

Evernight has a dark overtone throughout the book. It adds menace, unease, and for me a sense of mystery. I really liked the storyline even it was a little slow to start. I'm not saying that I didn't like the beginning though. Because I think I actually liked the beginning a little bit more than the rest of the book, but I don't know. I really think that Lucas and Bianca had chemistry. It is hard to find a book that has actual chemistry between the characters. For a lot of the books the characters are suffering from lust. The characters were also a big part of why I liked this book. Bianca was so sweet and lovable. Lucas was protective and secretive. Patrice was kinda nice at times. Vic was funny, and ect. I really can't go into much more detail or I would give away part of the story and I don't want to spoil such a good book. Oh, by the way people should know that not all your questions will be answered in Evernight. Of course the love story  was kinda annoying though for me. At times it's okay, but I don't normally enjoy the love story part of books. I put up with it, but I don't enjoy it. Overall a solid book. And may I say that it is annoying when people compare this is Twilight, because Evernight is way better than Twilight. 

Rating: A

Notable Quotes:
"Self-knowledge is better than self-control any day," Raquel said firmly. "And I know myself well enough to know how I act around cookies." 

"It’s funny—when people call you “shy,” they usually smile. Like it’s cute, some funny little habit you’ll grow out of when you’re older, like the gaps in your grin when your baby teeth fall out. If they knew how it felt—really being shy, not just unsure at first—they wouldn’t smile. Not if they knew how the feeling knots up your stomach or makes your palms sweat or robs you of the ability to say anything that 
makes sense. It’s not cute at all." 

"The silence between us stretched out, but it wasn't awkward. Sometimes there are people you can be quiet with, and you never feel the need to fill the gap with meaningless chit-chat. I'd only become that close to a couple people in my hometown, and I'd always thought it took years. Lucas and I were already there. "

"I apologized to her once for spending less time with her, but she blew it off. "You're in love. That makes you actually kind of boring to people who aren't in love. You know, the sane ones." 

"You're impossible," he murmured. "But you're worth it." 

Both Stargazer and Hourglass are already out.

Afterlife comes out March 8, 2011.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...