CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Clockwork Angel Countdown

Em's to-read book montage

Strange Fate
Midnight
Afterlife
Angel
Original Sin
Hellbent
A Touch Mortal
Tempest
The Gray Wolf Throne
The Enchanter Heir
Untitled
Angelfire
The Iron Witch
Entwined
The Vampire Diaries
Moonsong
Phantom
Reign Check
Reign or Shine
Fanged & Fabulous


Em - of Everything Books's favorite books »

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Outsiders

The Outsiders
by S.E. Hinton
Genre: YA
Publisher: Speak
Publication Date: November 1, 1997
Original Publication Date: 1967


Summary:
According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. 


Book Review:
I had to read this book for school about a year ago. It was the first book that we read as a class that year. I was in 7th grade and I loved it. Almost everyone in my grade enjoyed reading it. We spent a lot of time talking about the meaning and themes of this book. It was my favorite book that I read in school that year. Even though we read several other really good books. The story was amazing. Even though I only had to read a couple of chapters a night I couldn't help, but finish it in almost one sitting. From the first chapter I was entranced. It was one of those books that you can't put down. I also liked that the meaning of this book was deeper than most books that I read. It was a refreshing break. We read a lot of books that had heavier meaning to them, but this one really got to me. I loved most of the characters and they were the most believable characters I have ever read about. You can really relate to them whether or not you are like them or not. S.E Hinton is an amazing writer and I am happy that I read this book.


Rating: A


Notable Quotes:
"I lie to myself all the time, but I never believe me." 


"Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold." 


"Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot. But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn. Sixteen years on the streets and you see a lot. But all the wrong sights, not the things you want to see." 


"It seemed funny that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset." 


"They grew up on the outside of society. They weren't looking for a fight. They were looking to belong." 


"Things are rough all over."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...